I live in the shadows, that place between light and dark. I can live in obscurity without being in total darkness. I can move into the light but retreat when I become too exposed. It is the place that I feel most at home. Always wishing to be in the light, but only safe in the shadows.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Textures, Shapes, Colours and Shadows


I was fascinated by this picture of a snow drift because it was so all-encompassing. The lines and varied shapes of the drift are fascinating to me, as is the texture of the snow (sometimes pillowy, others times granular). The subtle contrasts of the white snow, the shadows of different shades and the occasional reflection of the sun of the snowflakes make this much more striking than it might first appear. The shadows themselves do so much to add to the complexity and richness of the drift and I have to say, this is really the first time I have truly noticed the different shades of grey in the shadows of one picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment